The traditional folk festival
Zibelemärit (onion market)
The «Zibelemärit» (onion market) is a traditional folk festival that takes place on the fourth Monday in November. Farmers from the Berne region bring over 50 tonnes of onions and garlic – in artistically woven plaits – to the federal capital.
When the smell of onion pie and mulled wine is in the air in Berne's alleys, the Swiss capital is marked by the traditional Zibelemärit (onion market). Early in the morning thousands of visitors are already in the alleys of the upper old town and enjoy the mixture of farmer's market and folk festival. We will tell you 10 things you should know about the Zibelemärit.
- Monday, 25 November 2019, from 06.00 am
- Bundesplatz (Federal Square), 3000 Berne
- Admission free
Our offer for you
- 1 overnight stay in our newly renovated rooms
- Rich breakfast buffet in the morning
- Free travel by bus and tram in zones 100/101 and
- Gurtenbahn, Marzilibahn and Lift to Münster Platform